April Nerd Night: San Antonio AIDS Foundation
April 8, 2016 @ 7:00 pm - 11:55 pm
April’s partner organization is the San Antonio AIDS Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit with a dual mission – to provide compassionate medical care and social services to people with HIV/AIDS, and to help prevent the spread of HIV through education, counseling and testing.
The San Antonio AIDS Foundation exists to provide dignity and comfort to individuals infected with HIV and AIDS. SAAF was founded in 1986 by Papa Bear, aka Robert Edwards, a local bar owner who responded to the medical and social crisis at a time when most were afraid. SAAF began as a volunteer-staffed hospice in the back of a bar and has evolved to a multi-service agency reaching thousands on individuals every year through healthcare, support services and educational outreach.
Some of SAAF’s services include:
- Testing and Education including free HIV and syphilis rapid testing, hepatitis-C and tuberculosis testing.
- Special Care Facility and Hospice Care licensed by the state, providing 24-hour care, substance abuse and pastoral counseling, nutritional counseling, administration of medication, transportation to appointments, and medication reviews.
- Case Management coordinating care and linking clients to a wide range of medical, mental health care and community-based services.
- Nourishing SAAF providing 3 nutritious hot meals per day, 365 days a year. All meals are reviewed by a registered dietitian and include foods that help provide for particular dietary needs of persons with HIV/AIDS.
- Short-Term Transitional Housing for a total of 20 men, women and transgender formerly homeless clients.
- Dental Assistance is offered through dental subcontractors in the community to those who meet Ryan White eligibility requirements and have no private or public dental insurance coverage.
April Nerd Night will collecting items to support the work of SAAF’s special care and hospice facility, short-term transitional housing and case management programs.
Men’s Boxer Underwear (M/L)
Men’s T-Shirts (M/L)
Men’s Flip Flops (11-13)
Women’s Flip Flops (S/M/L)
Men’s and Women’s Deodorant
Bed Sheets, Twin (Fitted and Flat)