The Texas Diaper Bank was established in 1997 by several San Antonio Methodist churches. Since then, they have worked tirelessly to meet basic needs of vulnerable babies, children with disabilities, and senior citizens. The Diaper Bank’s mission is to provide programs and services, respond to families in crisis and improve the daily conditions of their lives. They provide basic needs services combined with educational opportunities that strengthen family self-reliance.
In 2015, the Texas Diaper Bank partnered with 13 nonprofit agencies and served over 33,000 individuals in 9 counties (Bandera, Bexar, Comal, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Medina and Uvalde). The organization distributed 969,000 baby items, diapers and incontinence supplies with a staff of six full-time employees, 12 board members and 2,800 volunteers, who donated almost 9,000 hours of time!
Specifically, Texas Diaper Bank provided:
- Diapers to 9,030 babies
- Distributed 756,911 Diapers
- Distributed 8,696 Baby Items
- 23,724 Individuals Received Food Assistance
- Distributed 622,824 lbs. of Food
- Distributed 6,960 Incontinence Products
Texas Diaper Bank programs include:
- Healthy Babies – Promotes the well-being, healthy growth, and development of babies by providing their family with diapers, and health education classes; gives these families access to our “Market Days” where they can receive other essential baby items once a month.
- Hunger Relief Program –Assures that families are able to meet their nutritional needs through food assistance and four sponsored mobile food pantries.
- Incontinence Gap Program –Provides special needs youth and adults with incontinence products during the interim application period for a Medicaid program.
All programs are provided directly to families or through partnerships with other nonprofit agencies.
Texas Diaper Bank also assists families with federal benefits enrollment (SNAP, TANF, Medicaid, CHIP, WIC & HOPE), enrolls families in “My Healthy Child” classes, and refers families to other agencies for additional services.
October has been declared “Diaper Need Awareness Month” in the State of Texas, Bexar County, San Antonio and Leon Valley. In Bexar County alone, nearly 40,000 babies lack the necessary diapers to stay clean, dry and healthy. The Texas Diaper Bank needs your help to raise A Million Diapers for Babies by October 31. Join the “Million Diapers for Babies” campaign during the month of and help make a difference in the lives of babies born into poverty and help make sure that they grow-up healthy! Join us at our next Nerd Night and bring a box of diapers or two to help the Diaper Bank meet its goal.
Most Needed Items:
Diapers, Size 4
Diapers, Size 5
Diapers, Size 6
Adult Diapers, Size L
Adult Diapers, Size XL